How to use an iPad or other screened device to enhance your still-life painting process:
1. Set up your still-life.
2. Choose a composition, use your device (iPad, laptop, or digital camera) to help you.
3. Lightly sketch your composition. I used graphite on a panel primed with light blue house paint.
4. Analyze the placement of lines and planes on the picture plane. Use the iPad or digital photograph to correctly assess the composition you are producing.
5. Next, look at the actual still-life to gather information about subtle shifts in color and tone.
6. Balance how you absorb the information, going back and forth between the iPad and the still-life itself. Remember to use information about composition and linear perspective from the iPad while using your own observations to capture the most subtle details of the still-life.