tree demo, a set on Flickr.
1. Sketch the roots/aerial view of your tree on a small canvas boards.
2. Drill holes at the tip of each root and in between roots. This will be where you thread the aluminum wire.
3. Thread the wire through the holes, completing one root at a time and looping the wire to form the base of the tree. Make sure you loop so it goes up the tree base about 6 or 7 inches.
4. Tape down the wire to the underside of the base/canvas board.
5. Cut the two ends of a cardboard tube so that it can serve as the trunk of your tree.
6. Secure the cardboard tube to the roots with masking tape.
7. Add coiled wire to the protruding loops of wire so that your tree can have branches. Make sure you leave a space for a tree house to sit later.
8. Cover your tree with aluminum foil to secure it, add strength to the armature, and make it more “tree like.”
9. Secure aluminum foil with masking tape.
10. Use paper towels or newspaper to paper mache the tree.